The Temple consists of both small and wide labyrinthian corridors, snaking back and forth throughout the biome with many splits. Oftentimes you will find piles of sand and/or wooden beams blocking your path, but by this point in the game such obstacles should be of no consequence. Dead ends are not uncommon, but usually there is not much need of backtracking for very long. Most often it's a question of choosing a different corridor which will lead you just a little further onwards.
The entire biome is constructed out of two different kinds of brickwork, with some pockets of rock and diamond deposits mixed it. The outer layer of brickwork is the same kind used in the Holy Mountain and cannot be dug through without powerful spells like Black Hole and Luminous Drill. Liberal use of Acid also works, but only downwards.
The inner layer of brickwork looks a bit different in color and texture and can be dug through using anything capable of carving up dense rock (which is most digging spells and explosives).
Points of Interest
- A secret miniboss, the Gate Guardian, can be invoked in this biome.
- Temple does contain quite a few Treasure Chests and Extra Max Health pickups strewn about the biome.
- Frequently, passages and rooms have traps on the walls that shoot arrows when triggered. These can be destroyed by most projectiles without much fuss.
Enemies and Hazards
The Hiisi have completely abandoned this part of the dungeon, leaving only dangerous monsters behind:
- Small Tentacler
- Acid Sleazebag
- Skull Rat
- Skull Fly
- Spiral Phantom
- Angry Phantom
- Delerium (with its accompaning blue crystal)
- Cursed Crystal
- Master of Blinding
- Death Worm
You may also find some slightly rarer types:
Particular care should be taken when facing the Shapechanger and Master of Polymorphing, as their attacks can render you completely helpless. Generally, being struck by any other attack while polymorphed will be fatal, but the Shapechanger's polymorph is chaotic and may leave you in a slightly better position to avoid death if you're lucky.
In addition to all of these, the temple contains crystals that release various effects once damaged enough. The effect depends on the color of the crystal:
- Red crystals create a small Earthquake
- Green crystals transmute all solid matter in a small circle around themselves into Cursed Rock
- Violet crystals fire homing Giant Firebolts at the player or any nearby enemies.
Other traps are common throughout the Temple, affixed to walls. Common trap types include:
- Acid traps
- Lightning traps
- Arrow traps
- Fire Traps
- Pots containing Hämis and gunpowder.
The temple has 4 different connections, two direct and two blocked.
- Leaving via the red portals at the bottom will land you at The Laboratory and the fight with the final boss.
- To the east of the bottom part of the temple is a second Magical Temple, identical to the one on the Snowy Depths level. Its entrance is blocked by the triangular Gate Guardian miniboss with a projectile repulsion field, though this can be circumnavigated by tunneling through the extremely dense rock around it. This area connects to the Wizard's Den.
- Far to the west of the temple there is a section leading to a secret ??? room with a portal leading to The Tower, a very tough climb back to the surface.
- At the bottom-right corner where the brickwork ends the rock is diggable, leading to a lava room right above the boss in The Laboratory, providing a means to return to the Temple after the boss is defeated.