This content includes possible gameplay spoilers or secrets. Tread carefully.
The Dragon (in-game name Suomuhauki, lit. Scale Pike) is a worm-like boss encountered in the Dragoncave to the east of the Underground Jungle. It has numerous projectile attacks on top of its worm bite, and is summoned from a giant stone 'egg'. In order to spawn the boss from the 'egg', the player must get within a certain distance of the egg's center, which will require digging into it some; the Dragon will not spawn otherwise.
Behaviour & Combat
The giant egg in the Dragoncave must be dug into and entered in order to summon the boss. When the player is about a third of the way into the egg, the boss will spawn in its center and emerge.
The Suomuhauki itself behaves identically to a Jättimato with the notable addition of much better air control ("flight"). It will otherwise fly about in the same manner & pattern as a worm, deleting terrain as it goes, trying to collide with the player in order to cause practically instant death via heavy bite damage with its jaws (1,900 - 2,000 damage per second). The bite damage is not actually melee damage, even though Melee Immunity blocks it.
In addition to its melee charges it also regularly spews 20 small fireballs at a fast rate, making up for its measly 2 damage, and regularly shoots 6 slow green orb projectiles in a hexagon pattern from the eye on its tail. It is quite durable and can take a lot of damage before dying, but slicing and explosion damage seem to work very well against it. If you have the Melee Immunity perk the only threat it poses to you will be the fire projectiles (2 damage) and the tail-projectiles (19 damage). The Projectile Repulsion Shield makes this boss significantly easier by effectively nullifying the slow tail projectiles and minimizing the chance that the flame breath attack will land.
On projectile and slice damage, it produces large quantities of blood, both before and after death. Upon death it always drops one Max health upgrade, one random Projectile Orbit spell, and a wand with powerful stats (usually of a quality similar to what would be expected a stage or two deeper).
- Touch of spells can kill this boss instantly
- Melee Immunity makes the fight much, much safer
- You may want to have a space cleared outside of the cave and fight the dragon there, the fact your space is normally limited is one of the most dangerous parts.
- A puddle of ambrosia can provide you the time to land the necessary hits when you otherwise lack the explosion or melee immunity.
- Consider drinking worm blood for wormy vision, unless you have All-seeing eye to see the dragon inside the walls. It is extremely easy to die if it catches you off-guard.
- If you don't have through-walls sight, stay away from all walls as it can easily kill you instantly with a melee attack
- The dragon flies so it's not possible to get it stuck like other worm-type enemies.
- It has considerably more turn speed so stay further away from it if you're attempting to dodge it.
- It is not affected by the pull of Giga Black Hole.
- If you have any spells such as Freezing Gaze or Freeze Charge, you can freeze the dragon and fly into his main body for a kick, dealing massive damage, similar to other worm-type enemies. This will take away nearly all of its health, making the fight much easier.
- The name translates from Finnish to "scaled pike". This is likely a play on words to the finnish word for a dragon, "lohikäärme" - literally meaning "salmon snake".
- This enemy can seemingly detect the player, even if they are invisible. (needs further testing)