For a more challenging experience.
Unlock this mode by beating the game.
Nightmare mode is an extra difficulty that is unlocked upon completing the game. It is designed as a built-in mod to the vanilla game in which enemies deal double damage, are more aggressive, and some biome changes apply.
Some of the notable changes are:
- The player starts the game with 3 random endgame wands, three random perks, and the Tinker with Wands Everywhere perk. These perks do not disappear when one of the perks is selected.
- Explosions deal double damage to the player only.
- Enemies have more HP and deal more damage.
- Enemies have a random chance to spawn with a perk.
- The map layout is different and often randomized. For instance, the first biome is always the Coal Pits, bordered by the Collapsed Mine and sometimes the Sandcave or the Mine. Additionally, the Hiisi Base and Snowy Depths are combined on either the second depth or the third depth (random). There are many random pools of water and even cursed rock in deep areas underground. (See Biomes#Current Maps)
- Terrain in the Coal Pits is covered by diamonds.
- Orbs of Knowledge will be replaced with their corrupt variants but if the player is able to pick only the orbs up they will turn into regular health increases.
- The Invisibility perk is removed