Alchemy is the art and science of mixing reagents in order to obtain transformations of their qualities and effects. In Noita, the great majority of alchemical reagents are in liquid form, preserved in flasks. They can be mixed with other liquids or solid materials to produce different substances entirely. It would take a patient alchemist with access to all kinds of elements to discover how many unique concoctions exist...
In a world where every pixel is simulated, Alchemy occupies a main role with no surprises. Even if the player chooses to avoid picking up potions and focuses in wand-building, they must be aware of the many reactions that endlessly occur in the world of Noita. Explosions, corrosions and fires share space with purifications, teletransportations, charmings and metamorphic effects, making alchemical knowledge essential to survival.
Also, the world will spawn many sorts of materials that can react to each other in some way, while having their own particularities while isolated in puddles, mounds or tanks. So, the majority of reactions that occur while delving into the mysteries of Noita will not be caused by the player's direct actions at all. With this in mind, the character starts with three forms of modifying their surroundings:
- A wand that shoots low-damage projectiles like Spark Bolt, Energy Sphere or Spitter Bolt, some of which can reduce powders and silence small flames at a very slow rate.
- A wand with explosive spells such as Bomb, Firebolt or Magic Missile, which can remove chunks of terrain and/or ignite flammable materials.
- A potion that changes its contents every game with the possibility of containing something helpful to the player or something harmful to creatures.
Additional potions can be found atop magical pedestals while exploring the dungeon, encouraging the player to make mixtures and try new reactions.
- List is sorted into base ingredients and catalysts (though in some cases these are interchangeable).
- Ingredients marked with
*are not consumed by the process and will remain with the resulting product.
There are many other less-useful interactions which follow from basic physical principles:
- Steam = Water + Fire
- Ice = Water + Freezing Liquid
- Rock = Water + Lava
- Dense Rock = Freezing Liquid + Lava
- Toxic Rock (causes damage on contact) = Toxic Sludge + Lava
- Poisonous Rock (similar to Toxic Rock) = Poison + Lava
- Volcanic Rock = Blood + Lava
- Ground = Mud + Lava
- Glowing Matter = Brine + Lava
Lively Concoction and Alchemic Precursor
These two concoctions have their recipes randomly generated at the start of each new game. The recipes are always in the ternary form (requiring three reagents).
Finding the ingredients for each concoction is unpredictable, and an experienced player will keep a close watch for their distinct colours appearing.
- Draught of Midas is a reference to king Midas, a man who, in a greek myth, gained the ability to convert everything he touched into Gold.
- Draught of Midas and Lively Concoction are both most likely references to transmutation and the panacea respectively, both known to be the ultimate works of Alchemy in hermetic texts.